Sunday, November 13, 2011

Short /U/ Pumpkins RTR and some visualizing!

Can I just say that I absolutely LOVE blogging!  Boy how boring would teaching be without great ideas from others.   I have to admit that although some things are my original ideas, most of the stuff I post about is things I have found on other blogs and just had to share. 

  This past week, we have been working on the short u sound in Reading.   Before we start each new sound for the week, I head over to Youtube and see if they have any videos from Hooked on Phonics for that sound.  Here is the one for short u and trust me your kiddos will love it.   Mine can't wait to hear it every day.




I also created a little read the room activity with short /u/ pumpkins.  I saw this on First Grader At Last and just had to do it!  Here are the pumpkins I made for my room and the recording sheet I made to go along with it.



Short /u/ RTR Recording Sheet


Our skill was visualizing for last week too!  I found so many great things on Pinterest for this skill.  The kids totally got the skill after these activities.  The first one we did was "The Green Giant" from Mrs. Williamson's Kinders.  They turned out so cute and so very different which was one thing I really emphasized to my kids.  Not everyone sees the same image.







The other visualizing activity we did was during our station time and sorry I don't have a picture of that but I do have the printable I created for it.  I saw this idea on Snippets By Sarah but I tweaked it a little to be more kid friendly for my kiddos.  I used the poem by Ding-A-Ling by Jill Egglton because it had words I knew my kids could sound out on their own.  Here is what we did...



Mental Image Printable


Enjoy Ladies!!!



2 comments:

Delighted said...

Love those green giants!
First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Em Hutchison said...

This is my first time on your site! It is cute and I really like your ideas I am your newest follower, for sure! Hope you can stop by and use some of our ideas because I will be using some of yours!

Em
Curious Firsties